Motor vehicle accidents and crashes are among the leading causes of death in children. Car accidents can happen anytime and to anyone, so it is important always to be prepared for them. If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident, click here to talk to an attorney today.
Why are car seats important?
Using a child-safety car seat is one of the best things you can do for your children when in a car. However, to ensure your child’s safety, you need to pick the right seat that fits your child’s age, size, weight, and vehicle. Some things you should keep in mind while picking the right car seat for your child are:
- The seat’s label will say whether the seat meets the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213. Only pick seats that meet or exceed this standard.
- Before letting your child ride on the seat, learn how to install the swat and use the harnesses properly.
- Visit a child car seat inspection station to confirm or double-check whether you have installed the seat properly.
- It is usually better to get a new car seat than a secondhand one.
- Make sure that you have filled out the product registration card.
What are the different types of car seats?
Some of the different types of car seats are:
1. Infant-only seats
Infant-only car seats can support small infants and newborns, typically from birth to 22-35 pounds. But when your child outgrows this seat, you would need to buy another one. Infant-only seats are usually designed to be rear-facing, depending on the model.
2. Convertible seat
Convertible seats can protect children from birth to about 40 pounds when rear-facing and up to 65-80 pounds when facing forward. However, this depends on the model of the car seat. Convertible seats are helpful because they can be converted from rear-facing to front-facing.
3. Forward-facing only seats
These seats can only be used facing forward and support children from 20 to 80 pounds.
Schedule a consultation today
Car accidents can be detrimental and traumatic, especially if they involve children. If you or your loved ones have sustained injuries in a car accident caused due to someone else’s negligence, you should not suffer in silence. Reach out to an experienced car accident attorney and get the legal help you deserve. An attorney can help you file a claim, receive compensation, and protect your rights, so do not hesitate to schedule a consultation today.